Saturday, March 21, 2009

115k completed -

er that's it lol. Lots of miles on the car but it still scrubs up nicely.

Been looking into tyre choices as I'm not really happy with the F1's. Goodyear just aren't making them like they used to and I'm not the only one to feel this. The new Asymmetric or however you spell are not lighting many fires either and the old GD3's just well aren't cutting it. So the current thinking leads me to Uniroyal Rainsports 2 which have an excellent set of reviews for dry and especially wet road holding / Hankook RS2's a track based tyre but is pretty good in the dry or the daddy of road tyres Bridgestones very own S02. With a little massaging of sizes I could get these puppies on the car again and motoring heaven should be returned.

When I talk about S02's I mean these beauties, the Porsche OEM N3 KZ
bridgestones fantastic s02 tyre with symetrical tread and solid centre band. Copyright www.tyretown.com
I had a set of these on the mr2 when I bought it, previous owner fitted them and dear god did they grip. Wore down pretty quick too and even today they are not the cheapest of tyres but they grip like sh1t in the dry and aren't shabby in the wet either. But they stopped making them for the std 15inch wheel size so I eventually went to Goodyear F1's. See 1st paragraph for circular discussion lol.

It's not an issue at the mo because the current fronts are really not looking used (clearly I'm a straight line junkie with no corner speed that oh bugger moment ) but the rears, well they could be finished by end of summer. Straight line boosting does wear them down lol. So who knows, might even buy new wheels for them heha

No comments: